Re: DRM and freedom

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: DRM and freedom
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:24:58 +0100

At Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:40:05 +0100,
Ronald Aigner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote on 11/10/2005 05:33 PM this:
> > We all agree that DRM are Evil(tm)
> Excuse me?! I do not have that opinion.
> However, I only object to the term _we all_. You are of course free to
> do and think whatever you like.

I apologize.  I didn't know that you have a different opinion.  You
didn't participate in the DRM discussion.  So far, nobody has voiced
an opinion different from the one I expressed (generalizing from the
placeholder term "Evil", of course).

However, I should say that if I say "we", I refer to the Hurd-L4
community, and not for everybody on this mailing list.  I have pretty
good links to most people in this community, and as far as I know,
there is universal agreement about this question within this community.

I will try to phrase my generalizations more carefully in the future,
but I ask you to not take things too personally.  Nobody will try to
speak for you, and if it appears to you this way, you can be confident
that it has been a misunderstanding.

> PS: Please, do not reply to this mail. I have no intend to start yeat
> another discussion about DRM. I do think this subject has been discussed
> at full length already. All I wanted to do, is to display my opinion
> which is different to the opinion of most of you.

I don't think this clarification will start another discussion.
However, I can guarantee you that this issue will continue to be
discussed, and rightfully so.  I don't agree that it has been
discussed at full length.  In fact, I think that we barely touched the
surface so far.

If you find this painful, you can prepare for it now, maybe by putting
a filter on the keyword DRM in your mail processing chain :)

Also, I would like to hear your opinion.  Unfortunately, you did not
offer it yet.  You only said which opinion you don't have.

Thanks,
Marcus