Re: Hurd on Minix3 or other kernels?

From: B. Douglas Hilton
Subject: Re: Hurd on Minix3 or other kernels?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:43:32 -0500

Mike Small wrote:

I'm not qualified to judge the merits of this (although doesn't minix
lack paging?) but it sounds like fun.  Please let me know or make it
known on one of the Hurd lists if you take up this project and need
testers or other beginning programmers.  I've been intending to try to
port Hurd/GNU Mach to my powermac (or Hurd/L4, but that seemed
unlikely to be within my capabilities - excuse the pun - anytime soon)
for some time, but agree with you that minix might be a better
starting point for a novice.
I've been thinking about what I wrote above, and one kind of nice thing is that it should be possible to bootstrap the Minix3/Hurd system by compling from with a chrooted environment. I built a Gentoo system from within a Debian xterm by doing this kind of trickery. For instance, you could set up some build space, unpack your Hurdish binutils, and attempt to compile them using the Minix compiler. Once they are built, use them to attempt to compile glibc0 or other low-level things.

Since Minix is bootable, has a clib, and a compiler, a bit of iterative bootstrap compiling in a chrooted environment might be worth checking out. At the moment all four of my primary partitions are filled, so I can't install Minix3 to fool around with it, but perhaps with a bit of carefull hard drive juggling I could free up a primary for this purpose. If any of you know a way to install Minix3 into a secondary and boot it with GRUB, then do please spill the beans because I have a couple nice chunks of freespace in my extended partition.

-D

(ps: yes I'm posting from windoze, hence the virus scan stamp. Rest assured I have a rocking Gentoo sys, I'm just playing a game here right now :-)