Re: Restricted storage

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Restricted storage
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:42:12 +0200

At Tue, 30 May 2006 16:37:52 +0200,
Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Then again, this breaks Flexibility.
> > I have seen several references to the "Flexibility" design goal. Is
> > this goal described somewhere?
>
> http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/RequirementsForUser#FlexibilityRequirement

I should add something: The goal of flexibility is actually a watered
down version of a much stronger goal that has always been at the focus
of attention for the Hurd: The goal of user freedom.  Freedom implies
flexibility, but the other way round is not necessarily the case,
depending on your definitions.

The original Hurd goal was (and remains) user freedom.  Neal and I at
some point lost track of that and replaced this goal by the more
technical term "flexibiliity".  The email you quote at the Wiki above
is a testimony of that development.  I believe that was a mistake, and
I have since then returned to the original goal, user freedom.

Thanks,
Marcus