Re: TPM unusable for DRM

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: TPM unusable for DRM
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:51:02 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for this summary, it contains many good points.  I will only
add a very few.

I am not sure how fair it is to attribute any of this to the FSF per
se, or the FSF community.  The FSF has articulated a position on DRM
in the context of systems incorporating free software, trying to
implement rules in the GPL v3 that make sure that the spirit of the
GPL license as a "copyleft" license is not violated via technical
restriction measures.  In this context, what matters most is what
constitutes "distribution" of a work.  DRM is challenging the GPL
because it enables modes of distribution where use of a software is
separated from control (such modes already exist, but they have not
been a practical concern so far to justify action).

I have heard RMS in the past to argue broadly that distribution of
information which is of benefit to the general public should not be in
control of a few.  However, it is not clear to me that there is a
general consensus about what such generally useful information
includes specifically (for every possible type of information).  In
fact, it seems to me that there is a wide range of opinions on that
matter.

Thus, I recognize the position you are describing in some aspects, but
I am not sure that there is a single label under which supporters of
this position group and march.  Maybe the EFF?

At Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:07:43 -0500,
"Jonathan S. Shapiro" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Some specific rights of ownership that DRM advocates are trying to take
> away: (1) right to transfer content from one device to another, (2)
> right to re-record/RIP for personal use.

Quickly extended by (3) Fair use, (4) Competition (compatibility), (5)
Right to sale (cf First-sale doctrine)

Thanks,
Marcus