Re: Why I suck.

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Why I suck.
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:52:42 +0200

Am Sonntag, 20. September 2009 19:21:51 schrieb Alan Grimes:
> I suck because I can't use the unix utility "find" at all without a
> textbook open in front of me. I suck because I can't use vi even with a
> textbook open in front of me (not that I'd want to).

As long as you can use "man" or "info", you have your textbook, so never mind
that. And just write down what you need.

> suck because I'm merely a human being and can't even read much less keep
> up with the (linux) kernel developer's mailing list

I doubt there are many people who can keep up with it. The basic technique my
prof told me about is to get your patches accepted into the kernel, so the
kernel guys maintain it for you :)

> I suck because I failed to find a solution to enough of my problems, at
> the same time, while I still had energy, to get *enough* done such that
> it might become a successful open source project.

That sounds like you started out with too high a goal instead of taking small
but working steps.

There's a reason why Hurd programmers didn't try to write their own kernel
from scratch. It's the same reason why the GNU people went for using Linux:
Writing a good kernel is damn hard.

> lists. But since I suck, none of these efforts passed muster without
> some real working software as a draw.

You mean you started one of the thousands of free software projects which
didn't (yet) work out? That's not that unusual, either.

So, please get a grip. Life is hard at times (and I have my share of projects
which didn't work out, too - some of them left wounds), but it's also
wonderful, and if you really want to do something, programming has a big
advantage over social interaction: You can split your task into many smaller
tasks, so every tasks you have to do becomes simpler.

The damn hard part is keeping your motivation up and keeping yourself from
getting frustrated or getting so hard that noone wants to work with you
anymore.

And since you know some of your weaknesses, you can work on them. And if you
can't get their root, then make yourself a crutch.

Best wishes,
Arne

Ein Mann wird auf der Straße mit einem Messer bedroht.
Zwei Polizisten sind sofort da und halten ein Transparent davor.

        "Illegale Szene. Niemand darf das sehen."

Der Mann wird ausgeraubt, erstochen und verblutet,
denn die Polizisten haben beide Hände voll zu tun.

Willkommen in Deutschland. Zensur ist schön.
                      (http://draketo.de)