Re: Reviewing Hurd-on-L4 (and considering its future?)

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: Reviewing Hurd-on-L4 (and considering its future?)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 23:53:34 +0200

On Thursday 24. May 2018 10.49.03 Richard Braun wrote:

> I've been working on something for a couple of years now. It's not the
> Hurd, it's not an L4 derivative, but it shares some of the goals and
> the high level architecture. For now, it's only the kernel, and it
> doesn't even provide IPC yet, but in the end, it's intended to become
> a Hurd-like operating system. You can read more on this web page [1]
> and if you want more details, let me know.

I think I saw your X15 project mentioned before, and it is probably something
that I should look at more closely. As I noted in another message, my own
practical considerations have been dictated by the availability of existing
systems for architectures that I want to use (and also experiment with), and
so the availability of Fiasco.OC for MIPS was the deciding factor.

I read your blog post about architectural difficulties with Hurd-on-Mach,
which communicated a degree of frustration with the limitations of these
technologies. Do you have any insights into how L4 implementations more recent
than Pistachio (which I think was the basis of the earlier hurd-l4 work) might
address some of the difficulties experienced, and whether they offer any
remedies?

Sorry if that's a rather open-ended question!

Paul