Re: [Libcdio-devel] Re: mmc_get_disc_erasable proposition + questions

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Re: mmc_get_disc_erasable proposition + questions
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 11:20:45 -0500

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > READ DISC STRUCTURE part.
>
> Sure. Give me the framework.
> The problem is that you have to pull logics from
> the OS drivers into the generic part.

Sure. I'm not completely sure what to do here, although I have inclinations
in some areas as I mentioned before. So this will probably take time.

> There is some need in libcdio for catching up
> with those media. TOC is flatly wrong.

My understanding is that the TOC does follow the existing  Red, Yellow,
Green and White Book Standards. If not we'll fix this. Likewise for ISO 9660
standards.

> This standard simply does not apply to DVD
> and BD.

Right. That's why the library is called lib*cd*io, lib libdvdio or
libdvd+cdio, or libopticalmedia.

> Vice versa a libdvdio would have a huge
> intersection of features with libcdio.

I'm okay with that. And/or making a new library that allows for various
hybrids.
A library is made up of a collection of objects which contain functions,
variables, constants and so on. I don't see a problem reusing objects or
rearranging the functions, variables and constants so they can be reused. In
fact I think this is a *good* thing to do.

And at the same time, where folks want strict compliance for any given
standard they can get that too by using the specific library desired.