[Libcdio-devel] Re: New MMC functions to detect media type

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: [Libcdio-devel] Re: New MMC functions to detect media type
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 08:45:41 +0100

Hi,

> Thank a lot for your explanation.

I try to spread as much MMC knowledge as
possible. :))
(But i can well be wrong in some aspects.
My rate of mistakes is substantial.)

> I know HD-DVDs are dead
> but is it really impossible to meet some ?

I once googled for HD media. There were some
but only at extreme prices.
The prices for HD burners were astronomic.
Now they are all discontinued.

So i do not expect to ever meet HD DVD,
except possibly HD DVD-ROM with a movie on it.
But for completeness it is good to be able to
recognize them.

>  I don't know where I can bye a dual layer
> DVD+RW (0x2A), should I wipe the code for them too ?

Nobody wants to sell them in the internet.
So i assume they do not really exist.

Nevertheless, they are specified in MMC and thus
it seems ok to recognize them.

> "These are missing in doc/glossary.texi, yet." : do I
> have something to do ?

In doc/glossary.texi there is a
  @item @anchor{models-profiles}Media models and profiles

I see Rocky has added some of the profiles
there tonight.
But 0x50 HD DVD-ROM is still missing and i see
that i misattributed 0x2A to DVD+R DL in the
text. So it now occupies the slot of DVD+RW DL.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas