Re: [Libcdio-devel] removal of include/cdio/cdio_config.h

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] removal of include/cdio/cdio_config.h
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:36:53 -0500

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Pete Batard <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2012.01.30 02:22, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
>
>> Removing the requirement cdio_config.h is probably okay. However removing
>> it ultimately from the distribution is a little bit different.
>>
>> The file serves to document how libcdio was compiled. So as such I think
>> it
>> should remain. Also I'm a little concerned about compatibility and so
>> again, if a program had been using this, although we may decide to
>> deprecate it, that is different from removing it.
>>

> Good point. I hadn't thought of that, and I agree that keeping a copy of
> the config is something we want.
>
> I'll add a commit that restores the copying of config.h to
> include/cdio/cdio_config.h
>
> I don't think cdio_unconfig.h needs to be restored though - do you see it
> differently?

I think what really needed is a transformation of config.h which  prepends,
say CDIO_ to a number of the defines like the PACKAGE* defines and other
defines like _FILE_OFFSET_BITS, _LARGEFILE_SOURCE and WORDS_BIGENDIAN. With
this, such a modified header can be included safely in other programs that
want to test or or present the features of the libcdio that gets used.

In particular, I would probably use this information in the various libcdio
bindings for Perl, Python and Ruby so that those programs can get at such
information too.

Things like _POSIX_1_SOURCE aren't  needed. But worse, this along with
_LARGEFILE_SOURCE could with alter how other C programs want to configure
themselves.

So in the absence of this which was expedient, cdio_unconfig.h was also
expedient.

I will plan on doing the right thing to process config.h to a safe
cdio_config and then we won't need cdio_unconfig.h