Re: [Libcdio-devel] Packaging libcdio 0.92 and libcdio-paranoia 10.2+0.9

From: Robert Kausch
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Packaging libcdio 0.92 and libcdio-paranoia 10.2+0.90+1 for Debian
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:31:07 +0200

I am not sure we can do this.

  GPLv2 I think means GPLv2 and *only* GPLv2. LGPL of Paranoia 10.2 allows
  LGPL 2.1 or later but I don't think GPL.
No, I checked that.

All the GPLv2 files said "GPL version 2 or later" so upgrading them to GPLv3 is fine.

cdparanoia was released under the LGPL v2.1 without a "later" option, but the LGPL v2.1 says:

"You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General Public License instead of this License to a given copy of the Library. To do this, you must alter all the notices that refer to this License, so that they refer to the ordinary GNU General Public License, version 2, instead of to this License. (If a newer version than version 2 of the ordinary GNU General Public License has appeared, then you can specify that version instead if you wish.)"

So relicensing that code under the GPLv3 is fine as well.