Re: [Libcdio-devel] Distraction over Wikipedia topic, was Rock Ridge and

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Distraction over Wikipedia topic, was Rock Ridge and libisofs/xorriso 'AL' extension
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 12:15:32 +0100

Hi,

The specified command predates SCSI-3, so check on SBC or SCSI-2, cant tell you
exactly where after reading all specs its all a mess in mu head :/

http://www.retrocomputing.net/parts/sun/ss10/cdrom_faq.htm seems to have the
exact command.

When we are giving block access to an iso file we are basicallu emulatinh a CD
drive, so should we emulate that behaviour is a legitimate question.

In discimagechef I've chose to not do that for simplicity doing the sector cut
in 5 filesystems instead than in 35 disc image drivers, but maybe someone
thinks the correct is to do like the cd drives and offer different block sizes.

The Apple CD300 and Apple CD600 are the same Sony drives used by Sun and SGI
and the CD300 supports that command (is the only drive without a jumper that
can boot in my SparcStation 10). Afaik no ATAPI drives suport it at all, it was
something very specifically asked for first drives before systems where adapted
to variable block sizes.

It's a mess how 512 bytes is hardcoded all over the industry, in buffer sizes,
ignored "sector size" fields, etc, etc.

E.g. Apple specifically says (IM:IV) minimal sector size for their boot
descriptor ('ER' predating APM, that's in IM:V) is 256 bytes, yet the boot file
length is hardcoded to 512 bytes units.

Regards,
Natalia Portillo

Sent from my iPhone