libreplanet-discuss

Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Marinus Savoritias
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 12:28:44 +0200

On 9/23/20 12:01 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
* Ali Reza Hayati <hayati@riseup.net> [2020-09-23 00:41]:
Marinus didn't mean that the software harms the user. Marinus meant how
a software licensed under a weak libre license can be used against the
community/people.

Thank you.

If a permissive license is used to create proprietary software, then
it is just to teach users about free software and freedom.

So you just want to punish users with permissive licenses? Isn't it better to have a copyleft from the beginning?

That is what we are trying to discuss here. How we can have more copyleft.

An example is Microsoft which uses a lot of MIT-licensed software to
produce its own software and publishes them proprietorially. It's
needless to mention an specific incident as there's too many.

Yes, that is then not any more free software, it becomes proprietary.

A software libre licensed under a weak license (such as MIT) can be used
to produce a proprietary software (or even platform) and in result, harm
users.

That is alright, as that software is still free, so it can be used in
GNU and other free systems as free version of such software.

Instead of saying that permissive licenses harm users, it is better to
say that proprietary software harms users.

Permissive License harms users and communities as Ali said. And especially the contributors to the project.

If a company can take a software that I wrote/contributed and close source it then that is not a good license.

We need more copyleft so we can protect users and contributors from being take advantage of.

Marinus Savoritias

Jean