libreplanet-discuss

Re: Support RMS

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:37:33 -0300

On Apr 15, 2021, Danny Spitzberg <stationaery@gmail.com> wrote:

> the speaker who was airing very reasonable and rational

You got me curious as to what the speaker was getting at.

No offense intended, but we've recently been facing situations in which
one group launches personal attacks that violate nearly every CoC, but
whose members don't even recognize it as a personal attack and perceive
it as perfectly justified, whereas another group who complains about the
unkindness of the attacks gets labeled as jerks or worse, again, without
realization that they're all crossing the line.

Point being, since you and I and RMS seem to have quite different points
of view and perspectives, it wouldn't surprise me if something that one
of us found perfectly reasonable and rational would come across as
extremely offensive and unacceptable to another.

That's not to say that it would make the response you described right or
desirable, but it might make it at least a little more understandable
and perhaps tolerable.

Does anyone have a pointer to a recording handy?

> To be honest, I found the whole outburst— and the audience’s quiet seeming
> to condone the outburst — all very depressing.

I haven't witnessed this, but if it was as you describe, maybe what you
perceived in the audience was probably more like shock paralysis than
condoning.

I've witnessed such a silence in the audience in one occasion in which
he let out a tasteless pun, caught himself a moment too late and paused
for a bit, seemingly embarrased and asking for forgiveness, while the
audience had that sort of silence of shock and uncertainty as to what to
do next.

--
Alexandre Oliva, happy hacker  https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo/
   Free Software Activist         GNU Toolchain Engineer