libreplanet-discuss

Re: Powerchair - was federated free software movement

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: Re: Powerchair - was federated free software movement
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 23:53:31 -0500 (EST)

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "references to functions of it".
Also it is important to note that while most chairs use a common 'power-base'
(which will vary by manufacturer / model, but functionally hardly varies) the
seating and so on are very user specific and will vary based on medical needs,
and the exact nature of the user's disability, as well as their physical size,
etc.  The 'core' electronics don't change however, just the 'user interface'
hardware and associated software.

However the electronics control system is really the only part that isn't
effectively open in the sense of knowing how it works and being at least
theoretically able to rebuild / replace it. (Sourcing an exact replacement
might be an issue, but a different one)  I think that in order to be an
effective option any control system needs to be at least as flexible and
'universal' as the commercial systems.

I have looked at the list of projects you pointed at, and while there are many
cool creations on it, none really seem like they would be tremendously useful
as a source of development.

Probably the biggest issue is lack of scale.  Where the descriptions gave power
specs, most were on the order of 3-15VDC and 3A or less...

A comercial power wheelchair power module runs on 24VDC and the best will
provide drive power to two brushed DC motors at a current limited peak of up to
120A for a few seconds and 100A for longer, although the motors will draw far
less most of the time.  (Motors draw maximum current at stall, and minimal
current running at speed, so rolling down the road takes far less power than
lots of starting / stopping / turning)  This puts them into the same class as
the controllers used in the Discovery Channel "Robot Wars" heavy robots.
(it is also in the range of output for some welding machines) This kind of
serious power needs a lot of serious design chops...

ART
Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>