[Libtool] Re: Naming a project gnu-win32?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Libtool] Re: Naming a project gnu-win32?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:07:22 -0600 (MDT)

    An issue has recently been raised (by me) in the libtool mailing list
    regarding the desirability of using the label "gnu-win32" in scripts
    like libtool (and, I presume, configure).

In hacker terminology, calling something a "win" is a form of praise.
People who wish to praise Microsoft Windows are free to do so, but in
the GNU Project we don't do it.  So we write either "Windows" or "w",
not "win".

    Anyway, there is now a new, unrelated project now that is billing itself
    as "gnu-win32" and I thought it might be a good idea to alert you to
    this before the name started popping up in configure and libtool
    scripts.

If these people want to be part of the GNU Project, they ought to talk
with me about this project in any case.  Could you send me some brief
info about the project, and the email addresses of the leaders (only),
so I can talk with them?