Re: $ORIGIN in RPATHs

From: Ganesan Rajagopal
Subject: Re: $ORIGIN in RPATHs
Date: 10 Oct 2000 15:54:20 +0530

Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:

> On Oct 10, 2000, Ganesan Rajagopal <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > While we are on this topic, how about modifying libtool to add a
> > $ORIGIN in a program RPATH instead of an hardcoded path if
> > possible? This case should be trivial when libdir and bindir are
> > subdirectories of prefix.
>
> This would require libtool to know the directory in which a program is
> going to be installed.  This information isn't available when the
> program is linked.

Hmm, that's correct. We do pass in the install location of a library
using -rpath, may be we can a similar flag for a program. This is very
convenient for relocatable packages.

I am not sure if it's worth the effort to handle this in libtool, it's
easy enough to add it manually as long as libtool doesn't complain
about $ORIGIN in the RPATH.

--
R. Ganesan (address@hidden)       | Ph: 91-80-5721856 Ext: 2149
Novell India Development Center.       | #include <std_disclaimer.h>