libtool relink during install broken (was: libtool relink fails due over

From: Wesley W. Terpstra
Subject: libtool relink during install broken (was: libtool relink fails due overriden prefix)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:25:52 -0600

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 08:14:33AM +0200, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> "Wesley W. Terpstra" <address@hidden> writes:
> > So, this system is ideal for make, debug, make install. However, the debian
> > build cycle has one twist that breaks libtool: make, make
> > prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr install.
>
> Cannot this be changed to make DESTDIR=`pwd'/debian/tmp install ?
I'm not using automake - only autoconf so I have no DESTDIR. Regardless, this
wasn't the problem.

> To make sure things are concrete enough I wiped up a little example
> that I think shows what you're trying to do.  It's at
> <http://www.sics.se/~assar/libtool/foo-0.0.tar.gz>.  And doing:
I grabbed your tgz and started poking it. You're right - yours works. I was
totally baffled as to why b/c when I used exactly the same commands it would
still try to relink the library and fail. Finally, I copied the libtool out
of foo-0.0 and tried it in my source dir. The problems vanished.

It seems this is a bug in the newest libtool - I had checked mine out of cvs
about three days ago whereas I believe yours was 3 months old.

The new libtool will put a --rpath in the library compilation and thus need
to relink the dependent library. Try:

cd foo-0.0
copy in the newest ltmain.sh from cvs
./configure
make clean
make
clear (the next command is noisy and has an error you have to search for)
make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/tmp

Truely horrifying is that libtool doesn't even stop after failing to relink
- it just continues on it's merry way. Look for the telltale error somewhere
in your scrollback history:

gcc -shared  bar.lo  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/local/lib -lfoo
-Wl,-soname -Wl,libbar.so.0 -o .libs/libbar.so.0.0.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfoo
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `libbar.la' with the above command before
installing it

Bleh. Well, by downgrading my libtool this is no longer a concern for me.
However, I'd be happy to provide any more info to help in fixing this.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <address@hidden>
Javien Canada Inc. - Linux Developer