Re: Inter-library dependencies

From: Carlo Wood
Subject: Re: Inter-library dependencies
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:04:52 +0200

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 09:29:17AM -0600, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> > ../../../libcw/src/libcwd/ltconfig: ../../../libcw/src/libcwd/ltconfig: No
> > such file or directory
> > configure: error: libtool configure failed
>
> You shouldn't need ltconfig... After installing the cvs libtool, run
> libtoolize in your source dir. That should provide you with config.guess,
> config.sub, and ltmain.sh. Then add AM_PROG_LIBTOOL to your configure.in
> and copy libtool.m4 to aclocal.m4. Run autoconf && ./configure. Then you
> should have a libtool.

The problem was indeed that the wrong libtool.m4 was used.

However, isn't that a flaw in the design?  Why doesn't automake/libtool
support installation in different prefix directories?

What is going wrong is this:

If I install automake with prefix /usr, and libtool with
prefix /usr/local, then automake has the following lines
in its `aclocal' script:

$prefix = "/usr";
$acdir = "${prefix}/share/aclocal";
&scan_m4_files ($acdir, @dirlist);

Completely missing any notition of the libtool.m4 file
in /usr/local/share/aclocal.  Adding that directory
to address@hidden' also doesn't help when there is an old
version of libtool installed in /usr: then you get
duplicated macros errors.

The best solution that I can think of is to give
macros loaded from $acdir a `weak' linkage: if macros
are defined in a directory specified with -I on the
command line, then this should not lead to duplicated
macro errors imho.

As a work around, I will install automake and autoconf
twice (I need two versions of libtool to be installed).

--
Carlo Wood <address@hidden>                        -=- Jesus Loves you -=-