Re: [MLB] Tag inferrence code needs improving

From: Nick Hudson
Subject: Re: [MLB] Tag inferrence code needs improving
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:10:43 -0700 (PDT)

On 26 Oct 2000 06:52:56 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>  On Oct 26, 2000, Nick Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>  > The build system of a package I was trying to build. This build system
would
>  > use /usr/bin/cc and libtool would use cc as determined by configure.
>
>  The package should have create its own libtool script, properly
>  configured for whatever compilers it's going to use.

The problem here is that it isn't an autoconf/automake build system and it
has no understanding of libtool. The NetBSD pkgsrc system uses libtool in
all sorts of packages that don't use libtool out of the box.

>  > The suggestion is that the configure system of libtool searches the
>  > system for every c, c++, and gcj-like compiler and adds tags for
>  > each. OR libtool configure is told that they some are equivalent and
>  > uses and alias concept.
>
>  So you're talking about the libtool script installed by the libtool
>  package, right?

Right.

>  Ok, I see the point now.  Yes, aliases would be a
>  nice addition, and so might be searching for additional compilers.

What's the best way to approach do this then?

Nick
--
aka address@hidden, address@hidden

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite UK
 Visit http://inbox.excite.co.uk/