Re: Forbidden strings

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Forbidden strings
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 05:26:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Akim Demaille <address@hidden> wrote:

> Alexandre> On Nov 6, 2000, Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Why not just prefix the reserved autoconf variables with a `_'
> >> character?
>
> Alexandre> autoconf used to use just AC_/ac_.  Now, it's claiming
> Alexandre> ownership of all of A?_.  That looks a little bit
> Alexandre> exagerated to me.
>
> Still, why should we struggle for AR_ and not for AC_?  How can we
> decide that users must not use AC_ in their configure.in?  I
> personally think it is saner to get all these A?_* names, because we
> already use many of them and will use even more in the future, and to
> provide a means to declare what are the symbols to allow, as compared
> to catching only a random number of A[CHUMS]_ and provide no escape.

But, neither of you answered my question.  Why not use `_' to prefix A?_*
names?  You can then declare that the user is incorrect as _A?_* is a vendor
variable!  I as a user should be allowed to declare A?_ as a variable or
function.  I as a user should never declare _A?_ as a variable or function.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:address@hidden