Re: interdependancies between libraries

From: Wesley W. Terpstra
Subject: Re: interdependancies between libraries
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:39:03 -0700

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 01:50:57PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Oh, another observation: installing the libraries in their non-final
> location (as required for Debian packaging tools, probably Redhat too)
> simply does not work, as shown below. I think some of the required -L
> options to the linker might be missing.
>
> <snipped of failed relink>

> (It took me awhile to notice that errors occurred, shouldn't it stop
> straight away? Maybe thats my fault for using CVS versions of autoconf
> and automake).

I concure that this is a huge issue, and I already submitted a patch on Oct
22 /2000 that fixed this for linux. I don't know why the libtool team didn't
fix it up (I probably broke other OSes with it) and include it as it
resolves this.

I've reattached my patch to this email, but don't know if it will still
apply to the current CVS head, but try it and see if it solves your
packaging problem.

What I've been doing for debs with inter-depends is having a local copy of
ltmain.sh in my debian packages with the patch applied for building my
project. Then it adds the right -L options.

If the patch fails, I can send you the ltmain.sh I use in private.

Good luck.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <address@hidden>
Javien Canada Inc. - Linux Developer