A*_PROG_LIBTOOL problems

From: Alexander Mai
Subject: A*_PROG_LIBTOOL problems
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:56:30 +0100

Hi again,

just cleaned my project tree a bit and wanted to start from
scratch again on a platform to try with libtool/CVS.
We use automake, autoconf,etc.

According to the docs AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
are still the same, however if I use

  AC_PROG_LIBTOOL I get
  Makefile.am:47: library used but `LIBTOOL' not defined in `configure.in'

In both cases configure later on asks for a ltconfig which it can't find:

checking whether ln -s works... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed
/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck
./config.status: ./config.status: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make: *** [config.status] Error 127

So in my understanding there's an error in the documentation
at least (which may not be up-to-date yet, but trying to
understand things from ChangeLog,etc. is too tedious probably).
which claims both to be the same. And it might be some
new info missing what to do in configure.in.

I'm using:
libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.3c (1.852 2001/01/08 01:52:10)
automake 1.4 (with patch from libtool/README)
autoconf 2.13

Bye,

--
Alexander Mai