Re: lib*.so symlink && patches

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: lib*.so symlink && patches
Date: 05 Feb 2001 12:31:27 +1100

    Brian>  /usr/lib/libz.so -> libz.so.1.1.3 /usr/lib/libz.la ->
    Brian> libz.la.1.1.3 /usr/lib/libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.1.3
    Brian> /usr/lib/libz.so.1.1.3 /usr/lib/libz.la.1.1.3

Me and my big mouth. I went to implement the code for this, but found
it is already done ;-).

Here is the first version of a patch (apply to CVS version of libtool
1.4) which seems to fix the interdependency problem I complained about
earlier. I didn't find it easy to find the correct spot to edit, but
it seems to work fine.

This patch means that libtool relies on Linux to keep track of
interdependencies, instead of trying to manage it itself (with serious
limitations).

This seems to fix all the problems I have bought up recently, except
the *.la issue (which I don't consider as important, yet).

I have labelled a few things with !FIXME! - these are parts which I
think could be done better, but I haven't done either because my
solution would require looking up information from the *.la file, and
I am not really familiar with the best way to do that.

Any questions, please ask.

Brian May <address@hidden>