Re: Building shared libs as dynamically-loaded perl modules

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Building shared libs as dynamically-loaded perl modules
Date: 14 Feb 2001 14:01:52 -0700

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy Slade <address@hidden> writes:

Jeremy> What I really want to build is 'swigShapeUtils.sl', which
Jeremy> corresponds to the swigShapeUtils.pm module.  But automake
Jeremy> complains:

Jeremy> automake: src/perl/swig/Makefile.am: `swigShapeUtils.la' is not a
Jeremy> standard libtool library name

Rename it back to what you want and `-module' into
`swigShapeUtils_la_LDFLAGS'.

This should be documented, but it isn't.  I've written a patch for the
manual which I'll check in shortly.

Jeremy> Anyway, once I make that little change, it builds a shared lib
Jeremy> that doesn't have a bunch of symbols in it, because they are
Jeremy> evidently expected to be in another shared lib at runtime.
Jeremy> These appear to be the symbols that I was hoping to get from
Jeremy> -lShapeUtils (see the LIBADD line above).

Try putting the -L and -l options into _LDADD and not _LIBADD.

Feel free to suggest a documentation update which would have made
things clearer for you...

Tom