Re: Statically link against helper libs?

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: Statically link against helper libs?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:47:10 -0600

Braden McDaniel wrote:

> Is it possible to statically link against a helper library? The output of
> the process needs to be a shared library, so configuring with
> AM_DISABLE_SHARED isn't the answer. And I don't want to just include the
> objects in the helper lib in the shared lib, as I don't need (or want) the
> symbols in the helper lib to be external in the shared library. I realize
> I could use a file specifically listing which symbols should be exported,
> but that would be tedious to maintain so I'm hoping for a simpler
> solution.
>
> --

Bradden:

I think it would help if you were more specific about what you are
trying to do.  What do you mean by a "helper library"?
In the general sense, you can't link *.a's into shared libraries,
because the objects used to generate them are not necessarily
position independent code.

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center