Re: $ in source file names

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: $ in source file names
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:47:01 -0800

Robert Boehne wrote:

> Bruce:
>
> I like your ideas, I've been fighting to get libtool to build
> libraries of arbitrary size, and doing it in C would be so
> much easier.  ...
> So, I would like to work with you and make sure that ...

Thank you :-).  So far, it is a trivial map between current and
what I am doing.  However, to really take advantage of C, it
will be necessary to change what gets generated (surprise).
That means `diff' won't be up to the task.  That means all changes
will have to go into the the files used to generate both
the C and shell outputs.  Finally, *that* means early buy-in
on the approach and future development -even for the shell version-
goes into the *.def and *.tpl files.  From those files, future
editions of ltmain.in will be generated.

So, until there is agreement to give the method a spin,
there is nothing to do.  (The decision is reversable because at
any time you can declare the *.def and *.tpl files obsolete and
resume editing the ltmain.in directly.)