Re: Libtool needs -input-file option

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: Libtool needs -input-file option
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:30:30 -0600

address@hidden wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 04:41:03PM -0600, Robert Boehne wrote:
> > I'm busy building a solid modeling library with Libtool and fixing it
> > up along the way.  I have found one last barrier, when the command that
> > libtool is invoked with is too large to be read, libtool can't
> > be executed.  In this case you are currently out of luck.  You'd have to
> > start concatenating source files or splitting up libraries to get
> > around this.
> > Libtool could support an option, say "-input-file filename" that would
> > take
> > a text file list of libtool *.lo files as an argument.  Automake could
> > easily output the file from a Make rule like this:
>
> Just for clarification, does "command that libtool is invoked with"
> mean the length of the command-line generated is too long for the
> shell?
>
> --
> albert chin (address@hidden)

Hello Albert!

In the case where this option is handy, it just reduces the length of
the 'libtool' command.  In a Makefile rule, you would replace
 $(ltLIB_OBJECTS)  with  -input-file listfile.txt
So rather than executing a command like:
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link obj1.lo ... obj2389.lo -o libMine.la
(which could be EXTREMELY long)
you'd have somthing like:
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link -input-file listfile.txt -o libMine.la

Quite a few linkers have options such as this, so it makes sense
(fundamentally) that Libtool would also have such an option.

I have this working, but I'm still writing the documentation so
you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a patch. ;)

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center