Re: Fwd: Shared libraries with GNU ld on AIX433?

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: Fwd: Shared libraries with GNU ld on AIX433?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:16:28 -0600

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2001, "Scott Thomason" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > The binutils folks believe that libtool may be misleading me :)
>
> They're probably right :-)
>
> > From: Geoff Keating <address@hidden>
>
> > This version does appear to work for shared libraries (at least,
> > no-one has reported any problems), but libtool believes it doesn't.
> > You probably want to contact the libtool maintainers.
>
> What would be the best way to detect whether GNU ld properly supports
> AIX?  Would it be enough to test a version number of something like
> that?  Which version should we require as a minimum?
>
> --

Ok, now I'm really confused.  Here is what (today's)
binutils_latest_snapshot
tells me when I try to build it:

onfiguring for a powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0 host.
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     gprof ld
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)

My assumption is that if the latest snapshot doesn't build ld,
then is can't be used to link shared libraries.

Could someone comment?  I'm confused.

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center