Why doesn't configure use libtool during its test links?

From: Dan Harkless
Subject: Why doesn't configure use libtool during its test links?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:59:43 -0800

Howdy.  Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but it seems to me there's a
fundamental flaw in the libtool/autoconf integration (described as
"seamless" in the info docs).

I'm using libtool to allow my package to link with 3rd-party shared
libraries (that aren't in /usr/lib or the default shared library search
path).  Everything is set up nicely so that the eventual link of the main
executable will use libtool, but the test links done by configure _don't_
use it!

I guess I can write custom autoconf tests that use libtool when linking,
rather than using the predefined macros, but this seems kind of needless.
Shouldn't AM_PROG_LIBTOOL cause configure to use libtool during all its test
links?

--
Dan Harkless
SpeedGate Communications, Inc.