Re: linking modules into programs problem

From: Nick Hudson
Subject: Re: linking modules into programs problem
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 08:32:03 +0100

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2001, Nick Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > My main problem with changing need_lib_prefix is that its counter
> > intuitive to the user and actually breaks some pkgs in NetBSD pkgsrc
> > that have made the assumption that building a with -o name.la -module
> > results in an object of the form name.so.
>
> OTOH, no one should expect creating a name.la -module to result in
> name.so.  There's no such guarantee.  You can extract the lib name
> from the .la script, but, if you decide to guess it by yourself, you
> risk guessing wrong, and you can't blame libtool for that.

I understand that and I'm not blaming libtool. Unfortunately it seems
that hardly anyone reads the documentation and so they expect certain
behaviour. The naming of modules is an example. I am suggesting that
libtool adopt the principle of least surprises and make name.la -module
produce name.so wherever possible.

Is this unreasonable?

Nick
--