Re: AC_TRY_LINK with libtool libraries

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: AC_TRY_LINK with libtool libraries
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 13:09:06 +0100

On Sunday 01 April 2001 12:18 pm, s_a_white wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using libtool 1.3c for a while due to needing it so dependency
> information is correctly obtained from the la files.  However, I came to
> build a binary which uses libtool libraries and found that this version
> detects that my system should use an executable extention of ".C".  This is
> wrong for my Linux Mandrake 7.2 system.  I have however realised that I can
> also use 1.3b and it detects correctly as "no" in that version.

libtool uses AC_EXEEXT to detect the executable extension, so I'm surprised
that your results depend on the version of libtool that you are using.  Could
you try and debug it?

start by putting something like this near the top of your configure.in:

  set -x
  AC_EXEEXT
  set +x

> Lastly, I've been trying to check for working version of a custom static
> library created with libtool which has dependencies on other libraries.  In
> acinclude.m4 I have code which seaches for what it thinks is the correct
> library and then does an AC_TRY_LINK on it to see if it works ok.  The
> AC_TRY_LINK is failing because it does not use libtool to convert the link
> line to what it should be.  Is there anyway to achieve this as when it does
> the proper build with libtool it works fine?

This is a known deficiency in the coupling between libtool and autoconf,
which needs fixing at some point.  In the mean time how about (wild guess
here!):

  save_CC=$CC
  CC="${SHELL-/bin/sh} ${top_srcdir)/libtool $CC"
  AC_TRY_LINK(blah)
  CC=$save_CC

> Thanks for your help,
> Simon

Don't thank me yet =)O|

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc