Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin upd

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin updates]
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 01:38:09 +0100

On Monday 02 April 2001 12:49 am, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Apr  1, 2001, "Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It seems that even if there are, there is little option but to do
> > platformwise duplicate removal if we are to avoid common problems with
> > command line lengths.
>
> Yep.  I think I see a way around the problem.  Shared libraries don't
> need duplication (we hope), and static libraries can be included in
> reloadable links (I hope).
>
> Hmm...  But if I static library is listed after a shared library, to
> supply undefined symbols in the shared library, we can't reload the
> static library disregarding the shared one then put the shared library
> back in afterwards.  It's not as simple as I had thought :-(

So we reorder the libraries (after deplib expansion) such that the static
libs remain in the same relative order, and the shared libs have duplicates
removed, and are all listed before the first static lib.  Right?

The problem we then have is how do we detect what is a shared lib vs a static
lib?  Especially on pass_all platforms =(O|

This is fast becoming a large post-1.4 issue to my mind...

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc