Re: (no subject)

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:09:21 +0100

On Monday 02 April 2001 11:06 pm, stefan wrote:
> Dear libtool'ers,
>   just played around with libtool-1.3d.tar.gz

Excellent!  Thanks.

>... under Win32.

Even better.

> It worked perfectly with a Cygwin distro.

That's what we like to hear =)O|

> Thanks for your efforts on that.

No problem.

>   Now I do have two feature request (do not know if ever possible...):
>
> 1) AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL should have two optional arguments like
>    AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL(__FOO_EXPORT__, __FOO_IMPORT__) specifying the ex-
>    and import flag when building/linking to the library. The default
>    pic_flag is DLL_EXPORT which is hardcoded into libtool.

This doesn't make sense.  What if you want to build 2 DLLs from a single
configure.in?  What if you want to import symbols from 2 dlls and a static
lib?  Perhaps the package author doesn't even know, and the package installer
has to figure it out.

I detail a baroque, but functional, recipe in the goat book for getting
libtool to help you build libraries as either (or both) static and dll
components, with dependencies on other libraries built this way.  The
DLL_EXPORT symbol is required to work the way it does, so that the header
files for the dll you are building can tell that they are being seen by an
object that will eventually end up in that dll (as opposed to a static lib,
which uses the same heder file, but needs to generate slightly different
code).

> 2) Will it be possible to make the same efforts for MinGW ? I tried that
>    too and ran into a problem with unresolved symbols when linking to the
>    dll, which got correctly build anyway.

Certainly it is possible.  However, I don't use mingw myself, so progress
relies on good people like yourself submitting patches.  I will of course be
delighted to supply advice and tweak patches as necessary. =)O|

>   Furthermore there ran a minor text formatting "bug" into my configure
> script. It states:
>
>   --disable-libtool-lock  avoid locking (might break parallel builds)
> dnl
>   --with-pic              try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects [default=use
> both]
>
>   I guess the "dnl" line should not be there.

Well spotted!  This has been present since I first eradicated ltconfig!
Now fixed.  Thanks.

> Anyway, great work 'till now !
>
> Thanks in advacnce,
>       address@hidden

Cheers,
        Gary.

> PS: Could you please reply to my personal address too, when replying at
>     all ?

Done!
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc