Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwinupda

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: FYI: duplicate removal patch [Was Re: ok, new libtool for cygwinupdates]
Date: 05 Apr 2001 23:45:06 -0300

On Apr  5, 2001, "edward" <address@hidden> wrote:

> before: deplibs="-lfoo -lbar -lfoo -lfoo -lbar -lbar -lfoo"
> after: deplibs="-lbar -lfoo -lbar -lfoo"

> This cuts down on all the extraneous stuff *safely*, i think.

It can't be proven to be safe.  Consider that libfoo and libbar are
static, such that:

libfoo defines f1, that calls f2
libbar defines f2, that calls f3
libfoo defines f3, that calls f4
libbar defines f4, that calls f5
libfoo defines f5

If you remove the first -lfoo, you'll get an `f4 undefined' error.

It's always safe to remove duplicates of a library when they're
consecutive, though.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}