Re: libtool-related problem with latest gtk/glib/pango/pygtk

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: libtool-related problem with latest gtk/glib/pango/pygtk
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:59:22 +0100

Hi Skip!

On Thursday 12 April 2001  1:20 pm, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I'm starting to use the glib/gtk 1.3.3 from Python 2.1 on my Mandrake Linux
> 7.1 system using James Henstridge's pygtk wrappers.  I have a very simple
> Python script that bombs with a number of these messages:
>
>     Cannot load module /usr/local/lib/pango/modules/pango-basic-x.so:
> couldn't open libtool archive
>
> When I run python under strace, it becomes apparent that somebody is trying
> to open the wrong file:
>
>     open("/usr/local/lib/pango/modules/pango-basic-x.so.la", O_RDONLY) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> I know nothing about how libtool does its magic, so I'm at a loss how to
> work around this problem.  The somewhat obvious workaround of creating a
> symlink named pango-basic-x.so.la that refers to pango-basic-x.la doesn't
> work (it leads to other errors).
>
> I don't know if it matters, but python itself is not compiled or linked
> using libtool, though the various shared libraries involved (including
> pygtk).
>
> Can someone explain to me what's going wrong (and hopefully how to fix the
> problem)?

It's hard to tell without more information.  You might need to compile with
debugging and set a break point in lt_dlopen() to see what is happening.  As
best as I can tell, libltdl thinks that the .so object is a libtool .la file,
and is trying to parse it as such.  This might be due to the way it is
called, or a logical error inside the library.  Part of the sequence for
lt_dlopen("libfoo") is indeed to try "libfoo.la", though it is not supposed
to be a fatal error, and should only be tried after opening "libfoo" (without
the suffix) has already failed.

If you are able to provide a minimal program that demonstrates the problem
you are experiencing, I would be happy to debug it from libltdl and down.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc