Re: Configuring libtool HEAD branch.

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Configuring libtool HEAD branch.
Date: 16 Apr 2001 19:43:40 -0700

Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Dan,
> Don't forget to at least Cc: one of the lists... I might be struck by
> lightning before I get chance to reply ;-)

Piggybacking off of Gary's response....

> On Monday 16 April 2001 11:05 pm, address@hidden wrote:

>> - When building libtool without run-time-linking, my changes do still
>> create a lib<name>.a.  However, it is an actual archive containing the
>> shared object (just like the quirky way the rest of AIX does it).
>>   What you end up with is a libltdl.a that contains both the shared and the
>>   non-shared object.  This is not really what was intended, and would
>> likely cause problems if you ever really needed to use the non-shared
>> object, but for the most part it seems to work.  The only other thing I can
>> think to do is not bulid the non-shared object in this case.

But isn't this how AIX natively supports having both a shared and unshared
version of the library available at the same time?  I think this is
actually closer to exactly what you want than one might think.  I'm only
remembering this very vaguely from discussion in other lists, but I seem
to recall that AIX's native tools can then select static or shared linking
by choosing which objects in the .a they pull in.

Some vague memory also tells me that this is how shared library versioning
is done (with differently named shared objects).

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>