Duplicates in library auto-dependencies

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Duplicates in library auto-dependencies
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:09:34 -0500

I'm in a bad situation with the loss of complete and draconian
duplicate removal in dependency tracking.  I've got 44 or so
libraries that depend on each other, usually not in a loop ;P
So by the time the 10th library is built, there are thousands
of duplicate -lm -lc -lstdc++ -lgcc options with current MLB.
So this just plain won't work for me.
It is also apparent that what does work for me doesn't work
for KDE and other projects that need to preserve these
duplicate dependencies.  Therefore it is apparent that
some way to turn these on or off via the command line is
needed.
  Comments?

How about --preserve-dups as a libtool link mode argument,
we could simply skip the duplicate-preserving code if
this argument is not set.

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center