Re: Darwin and archive_cmds quoting

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: Darwin and archive_cmds quoting
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:35:03 +0100

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the analysis.

I think we need to take a careful look at the (complicated) echo testing in
libtool.m4 and figure out how this behaviour is not noticed by the current
tests.

I won't have time to do this myself until later in the Summer (in time for
libtool-1.5), so if you are able to fix up the tests around line 400 in
libtool.m4 to detect this brokenness correctly (this is exactly the sort of
thing it is supposed to pick up) it would be a huge help.  If you can't, then
perhaps you could try the following workaround:

   make ECHO="/bin/sh  `pwd`/libtool --fallback-echo"

If that works for you in the absence of a complete fix, I will add a note to
the 1.4 README...

Do you have the same problem with MLB by the way?  If not, then I may have
broken the echo tests when I eliminated ltconfig in HEAD last year, and the
fix might not be as difficult to deduce as I anticipate.

Cheers,
        Gary.