Re: Fix: Interlibrary dependencies SCO Uw7

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: Fix: Interlibrary dependencies SCO Uw7
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:18:16 +0100

Hi Matt,

On Thursday 19 April 2001  5:29 am, Matthew Schalit wrote:
> "Gary V. Vaughan" wrote:
> > If you are sure that it is okay to link non-PIC objects from a static
> > archive into a shared library, then this is the right thing to do.  You
> > can test this by manually linking a shared lib with a static archive, and
> > then trying to run an application linked against only the new shared
> > library, but that relies on a symbol from the static archive.  If you can
> > confirm that this works, I'll commit your patch.
>
> Does the fact that the libtool passes all 83 tests,
> including the
>
>     deplib.test
>
> file mean that we're good?

Unfortunately not, since we still don't have a test for linking a static
archive into a shared lib.

> If it's not enough, I can post to comp.unix.sco.programmer
> and see if one of the SCO engineers has a definitive
> answer.

That would be great.  I expect that it is probably okay, but libtool will
(mostly) work without pass_all on hosts which support it, whereas setting
pass_all on hosts that do not support it will likely lead to trouble.  Hence
I want to err on the side of caution.

> I'm not sure I have enough knowhow to create a test by hand otherwise.

It's not too difficult.  If you don't get an answer, ask agai and I'll
explain it in more detail for you.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc