Re: Fix: Interlibrary dependencies SCO Uw7

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: Fix: Interlibrary dependencies SCO Uw7
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:28:14 +0100

On Friday 20 April 2001  9:57 pm, Matthew Schalit wrote:
> I got an answer from comp.unix.sco.programmer.

Okay Cool.  Thanks for that.

> Matt Schalit <address@hidden> wrote:
> : [...] now I would like to know if these interlibrary
> : dependencies are supported on all 7.x.x.
>
> Yes, and in UnixWare 2, and in the upcoming Open UNIX 8.0.0 as well.
>
> :> "Gary V. Vaughan" wrote:
> :> If you are sure that it is okay to link non-PIC objects from
> :> a static archive into a shared library,
>
> Yes, you can do this.  (On SCO OpenServer this will not work at
> all, but on all UnixWare and Open UNIX it will.)  You will lose
> some performance doing this, since the pages that contain non-PIC
> code will be replicated for each process using them instead of
> being shared, but it will work correctly.
>
> :> You can test this by manually linking
> :> a shared lib with a static archive, and then trying to run
> :> an application linked against only the new shared
> :> library, but that relies on a symbol from the static
> :> archive.
>
> Yes, you should be able to successfully do this test.

> Based on that, I'm not comfortable with my patch.
> As I mentioned, UnixWare 7.x.x is identified as an
>
>    i586-sco-sysv5uw7.x.x
>
> and my patch is caught by the sysv) option, then the sco) option.
> But I don't know how to adjust this for UnixWare 2.1.3, though.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew

Well, I don't know which combinations of triplets we need to accept and
reject for pass_all deplibs, so this could probably use some tweaking... but
the attached patch is the sort of thing you are looking for I think.  Let me
know asap so we can get this in before 1.4 tomorrow.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc