Re: Libtool and Pkg-Config

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Libtool and Pkg-Config
Date: 22 Apr 2001 07:52:20 -0300

On Apr 22, 2001, Eric Lemings <address@hidden> wrote:

> Exactly.  So how would you get the compiler flags into libtool?

You wouldn't.  This is totally out of the scope of libtool.  Libtool
is about linking with libraries, not compiling source files so that
they can be linked with them.  Not that it couldn't be extended so as
to record user-directed flags at the time of creation of a library.
But what should it do when a library is linked with other libraries?
Should it merge the recorded flags with those of the dependence
libraries, or record just what the user specified?

> So that leaves a new "query" mode or whatever you want to call it.

I like this.  We've needed for quite some time an interface to query
libtool files so that people didn't have to break abstraction layers
to get it.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}