Re: Problems with test -L on Solaris

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: Problems with test -L on Solaris
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:19:03 +0200 (CEST)

Albert Chin-A-Young writes:

> Because of this, the following code snippet in ltmain.in will always
> fail (and thus 'make uninstall' will always fail on Solaris):
>   # Don't error if the file doesn't exist and rm -f was used.
>   if test -L "$file" >/dev/null 2>&1 || test -f "$file"; then
>     :
>   elif test -d "$file"; then
>     exit_status=1
>     continue
>   elif test "$rmforce" = yes; then
>     continue
>   fi

I have locally replaced the 'test -L' by 'test -X' (which doesn't work
with any version of test I have here) and I still got all tests to pass.
The cited code should still work if you never try to uninstall a symbolic
link file (which the test suite doesn't do, AFAIK).  Can you take a closer
look at the test cases, e.g., run 'sh -x xxx.test'?

> Note that Solaris /bin/sh has 'test -h' as an equivalent to test if a
> file is a symbolic link (what 'test -L' does).

Try changing the code to look like this:

    if test -L "$file" >/dev/null 2>&1 || test -h "$file" >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
test -f "$file"; then

but the above issue should still be analyzed.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter