Re: shared library linking on Darwin

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: shared library linking on Darwin
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:46:31 +0100

On Sunday 22 April 2001  1:40 am, Kevin Ryde wrote:
> "Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> writes:
> > Have either of you had any success with my workaround?
> >
> >    make ECHO="/bin/sh  `pwd`/libtool --fallback-echo"
> >
> > Or something equivalent...
>
> Not quite sure I understand.  Should that be ECHO=/bin/echo on the
> configure command?  Doesn't seem to help on an i386 debian setup.  I
> think it's purely a function of backslash interpretation by zsh in
> that zany eval making the libtool script.

Indeed.  I was trying to see whether libtool's fallback echo (where it calls
itself recursively and writes out its arguments as a here document) would do
the right thing.

The problem is that libtool.m4 jumps through a bunch if hoops to find an echo
that doesn't interpret backslashes, since it is quite a common problem, which
causes libtool a lot of headaches.  While jumping through these hoops it
should notice that zsh's echo doesn't have the properties that libtool needs
and keep trying, finally using `libtool --fallback-echo' as its echo command
if it cannot find a builtin or a binary that works.

> If you add a dummy `true` bit of backquoting into archive_cmds and
> symlink /bin/sh -> zsh I think you can see the problem on any system,
> I can on debian.
>
> No idea what to do about it though.  I couldn't spot an alternate
> shell on the darwin I was playing with.  More sed to compensate for
> the apparent backslash translation might work, but probably be quite
> horrible.

Does zsh have a `printf' builtin?  Maybe that will work -- it is what we use
for ksh.

Anyway, I have temporarily changed the backticks for darwin to $() until we
have time to solve this correctly.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc