Re: Making hardcode.test more robust [patch against HEAD]

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Making hardcode.test more robust [patch against HEAD]
Date: 24 Apr 2001 02:47:38 -0300

On Apr 22, 2001, address@hidden wrote:

> It does retain the original behaviour on other platforms. The case
> statement is only for particular hosts. All other hosts keep the
> result from the fgrep test.

Indeed.

> BTW, another possible solution is to compile with CFLAGS=-s. Compiling
> without CFLAGS=-g solves the problem on Solaris and with CFLAGS=-s
> solves the problem on IRIX 6.x.

I'm not sure how portable -s is.  Hmm...  Any takers?

> Good point about host != build. How would I even begin to solve that?

Only do the improved test when host = build.  Which amounts to falling
back to the original version when cross compiling.  And then, I wonder
whether we really want potentially different results for the same host
platform...

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}