Re: static/shared libraries on AIX

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: static/shared libraries on AIX
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:12:52 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 08:31:02AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> > > From: address@hidden
> > >
> > > Can we decide to:
> > >   1. On AIX systems that support run-time-linking, make it the
> > >      *default* so lib<name>.a is "static" and lib<name>.so is
> > >      shared. With this, "-brtl" would be "inserted" automatically
> > >      into the compile/link phases.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this would work or not.  For run-time-linking to work on
> > AIX the "program" must be linked with -brtl, and the shared libraries
> > must link with -G (shared libs can be linked with -brtl and -G, but
> > -G MUST follow the last -brtl flags).
>
> Ok, with the attached patch:
>   $ LDFLAGS="-brtl" CC=xlc ./configure
>   $ LDFLAGS="-brtl" CC=xlc gmake MAKE=gmake check
> passes all tests for MLB.
>
> Dan and Robert, please review. The patch does the following:
>   1. If using runtime-linking, created shared libraries with
>      -G as the final option. Remove -bM:SRE if runtime-linking
>      in effect and creating shared libraries.
>   2. If using runtime-linking, create static libraries *only*
>      under lib<name>.a and shared libraries *only* under
>      lib<name>.so.
>   3. Fix bug in allow_undefined_flag WRT evaluation of
>      allow_undefined_flag.
>   4. Rename lt_cv_prog_cc_static to ac_cv_prog_cc_static.
>   5. Set ac_cv_prog_cc_wl='-Wl,' to fix bug in quote.test.
>   6. Set soname_spec='${libname}${release}.so$major' to sync
>      with 1.4.
>
> --
> albert chin (address@hidden)

Albert:

I completely agree.  I never really liked the idea that you'd have
to add platform specific flags to get runtime linking, as I'm
an Automake user.  It will take quite a while, but I'm going to
test your patch on my project, 55 C++ shared libraries dependent
on each other, all created using Automake from 160MB of source.
  In my expierence, if THAT works, it's pretty darn good.
Unfortunately, this takes several days to compile so don't
expect the results tomorrow.  ;)

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center