Re: crosscompiling dll linux->mingw32

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: crosscompiling dll linux->mingw32
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:47:14 +0100

On Thursday 26 April 2001  1:18 pm, Guido Draheim wrote:
> Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > On Apr 26, 2001, Guido Draheim <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I did just need to change a single line in ltmain.sh which
> > > enabled me afterwards to actually *build* a dll.
> >
> > Looks like you were not using -no-undefined when creating the
> > library.  This is required to build a DLL on MS-Windows.
>
> correct.     (sorry, had problems in other tests before libtool-1.4)
>
> anyway - the interesting thing is about "make install" and
> prog:.libs/prog.exe:bin_PROGRAMS:bin_PROGRAMS:install-binPROGRAMS
>
> currently it seems that the automake-rules assume the existance of
> a prog.exe in the builddir, but it is not created in the current
> libtoolized make-processing. The current builddir/prog `head` says
>
> # pfe - temporary wrapper script for .libs/pfe.exe
> # Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.4 (1.920 2001/04/24 23:26:18)
> #
> # The pfe program cannot be directly executed until all the libtool
> # libraries that it depends on are installed.
>
> from that I'd say libtool knows that CC has created a pfe.exe but
> the automake-rules/vardefs expect a builddir/pfe.exe too. A copy
> of builddir' pfe to pfe.exe does indeed work. Who's to blame,
> libtool or automake?

Microsoft is squarely to blame!  Windows cannot execute a script with a .exe
suffix at all (it thinks that it is a binary).  Unfortunately this means that
the libtool wrapper script cannot be as transparent on Windows as everywhere
else, because we have to omit the .exe suffix in order for the OS to
understand it.

A short while before the libtool-1.4 release,  Edward M. Lee posted a joint
patch to libtool and automake which takes care of the worst of this sort of
thing.  I applied the libtool parts before the release but the automake parts
need some work first IIRC.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc