Re: Removing duplicate occurences from dependency_libs

From: Havoc Pennington
Subject: Re: Removing duplicate occurences from dependency_libs
Date: 20 May 2001 11:24:28 -0400

Martin Baulig <address@hidden> writes:

> somewhere between libtool 1.3.x and 1.4, you did the following:
>
> ====
> 1999-12-15  Thomas Tanner  <address@hidden>
>
>         * ltmain.in: don't remove multiple occurences from dependency_libs
>           of a library, otherwise many dependencies would get lost
>
> ====
>
> If you have a "complicated" dependency setup, this will slow down linking
> in a very extreme way (it is more than 5 times slower for me) because I get
> libraries like -lm or -ldl listed over 30 times in the dependency_libs.
>
> Is it possible to add an argument to libtool to get back the old behavior,
> for instance -unique-dependency-libs ?

That can't be right - how would you know whether to pass the option?

Either you can safely remove dups, or you can't safely remove dups,
it's not like you just get to choose, right? We're talking about what
works vs. what doesn't. If it works to remove dups then you would
enable it all the time, otherwise enable it never. Or am I confused?

Isn't the solution just to make the duplicate-removal algorithm a bit
smarter, so it only removes them when it can.

Havoc