Re: install phase fails

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: install phase fails
Date: 24 May 2001 19:43:37 +1000

    Alexandre> The problem has to do with requiring relinking at
    Alexandre> install time.  This is necessary when one library in
    Alexandre> the build tree depends on another library in the build
    Alexandre> tree.  The other library must be installed first, and,
    Alexandre> when the former is to be installed, the other must
    Alexandre> already be accessible in its previously-specified
    Alexandre> installation path, which is different from the prefix
    Alexandre> you have specified at install time.

    Alexandre> In general, when relinking is necessary, you must not
    Alexandre> use a different prefix to install than the one used to
    Alexandre> build.

In which case, you are saying that libtool is completely broken and
unusable for creating Debian packages? You can't have both set the
same, the package has to be created from the build directory, and it
gets installed in the correct spot when the package gets installed.

I imagine it will be much the same for creating RPMs, too, but I have
never done that myself.

Also, why did this work with libtool 1.4, but then suddenly stop
working?
--
Brian May <address@hidden>