Re: address@hidden: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: libtool]

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: libtool]
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:24:33 +0200 (CEST)

Sven M. Hallberg writes:

> We use the formula
>  version-info = Major+minor:Mesa_version:Minor
> to compute proper libtool version-info from the OpenGL version number (1.2)
> and our current Mesa release number (MM.Mm.Mt, e.g. 3.5.0). So, Mesa_version
> is an integer derived from that release number. We'd like to use
>  Mesa_version = MM * 10^4 + Mm * 10^2 + Mt
> which would yield something like 30500. However libtool only accepts three
> digits for the REVISION part of the version-info (as Marcelo mentions below).

You must have missed the part of the documentation that says:

:    *_Never_* try to set the interface numbers so that they correspond
: to the release number of your package.  This is an abuse that only
: fosters misunderstanding of the purpose of library versions.

(not my emphasis)

The documentation describes in detail how you are supposed to set the
three version fields.  Anything else will be trouble.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter