Re: Paul Sokolovsky's ld --auto-import

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: Paul Sokolovsky's ld --auto-import
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:10:38 +0100

On Sunday 10 June 2001 12:58 am, Robert Collins wrote:
> Paul's patch to ld to auto-import symbols seems to work well. I'm
> currently putting it through all the tortuorus combinations I can think
> of, that libtool would allow users to do. I've had no trouble so far,
> except a small conflict with the dll base address, that was hard to find
> but was easy to fix :].
>
> Now my question for the list:
>
> Does libtool support non-gcc compilers on win32 at the present time?
> Are there plans to do so?

Yes it does.  However, it has probably bitrotted to the point of uselessness.
 Currently we assume MSVC++ if gcc is not detected on Windows, but it would
not be difficult to add support for others into the existing framework if
they can be recognised by a configure test.

> reason for asking:
> Pauls' LD will allow use to use _no_ decoration in headers and still
> link to dlls, and produce dlls that are compatible with existing
> programs. This is a good thing.

Cool!

> However MS's linker and probably borlands don't have that functionality.
> (I _love_ free software!).

Me too =)O|

Cheers,
        Gary.